I’ve been enjoying a magnesium-rich, high-protein smoothie this winter, and it’s the first time I’ve found something that doesn’t spike my blood sugar but keeps me full and satisfied until at least lunchtime!
I start with a scoop of protein powder; I use whey, but use whatever is your favourite.
For better absorption, I always soak nuts and seeds overnight if possible (or a 30-minute soak with hot water just prior to blending also works). Here’s a basic recipe to follow; adapt according to your preference!
Nutritious Breakfast Smoothie
- 1 scoop protein powder
- 2 tbsp (or more) of a probiotic-rich yogurt (or Bio-K probiotic; vegans can eliminate this)
- 1 tbsp pure coconut oil
- 1 tbsp pre-soaked Austrian pumpkin seeds (soak together and include soaking water)
- 1 tbsp pre-soaked goji berries
- 1 tbsp pre-soaked raw cashews (or almonds or both; discard soaking water)
- 2-3 large Medjool or Barhi dates (remove pits!) to sweeten (or add 1 tbsp of other sweetener)
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 cup almond, soy or coconut milk
- ½ cup apple juice (to thin out; can also just use water for a less sweet smoothie)
- Add half a banana and/or fresh or frozen fruit, such as berries (optional)
Blend until smooth. If too thick, add a little more water while blending. Pour into a beverage container, and you’re all set with a tasty and filling “on the go” breakfast, full of rich goodness to keep you going through your busy morning!
~ Sue Vignola
Leave a reply: