When it comes to healthy snacking, we love a great sweet and salty trail mix. Only a handful or two can put cravings at bay while being very satisfying. As you probably know, we offer a variety of trail mixes depending on your mood or need.
However, sometimes you may run out or just want to make your own. The great thing about trail mixes is that it is so easy to customize to your liking. Here are some ideas on different flavour profiles to get started:
- Sweet and Salty – this classic combination is ideal for a mid-afternoon snack. Combine a couple of varieties of roasted and salted nuts with dried fruit and perhaps even a confection for a snack that will disappear quickly!
- Savoury – this type of trail mix is ideal for tossing in salads. Consider using roasted nuts and seeds combined with flavoured nuts such as tamari almonds for that little something extra.
- Sweet – there are many variations on this, and just as many uses. From mixes with chocolate-covered nuts as the star to those that feature more dried fruit, the possibilities are endless. Remember to include some seeds and nuts to help balance out the flavour profile.
Want to get started with a simple and classic trail mix? Try our recipe below!
Sweet & Salty Trail Mix
- 3/4 cup of pecans
- 3/4 cup of cashews
- 1/2 cup of organic pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup of sunflower seeds
- 1/2 cup of cranberries
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips or substitute with a chocolate confection
- salt to taste (depending on whether nuts are salted or not)
If you have raw nuts consider toasting them in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 350˚ F. Stir every 5 minutes for even roasting and to prevent burning.
Combine all ingredients in a large bowl and mix!
Store in an airtight container (our bags are reusable and ideal for this purpose) for up to one month in the fridge; or freeze a portion for later use.
2 Responses to “Celebrate National Nut Day with a great trail mix recipe!”
Leave a reply: